GEL is an online training website which is free for all Brighton & Hove governors to access. The training modules are designed to allow governors to work at their own pace to improve skills and knowledge in key areas.
They are not intended to replace face-to-face training but are a useful option for governors to support the LA current programme. They use the National Training Programme for New Governors’ on GEL as pre-course reading for their induction programme.
To register with GEL visit - http://www.elc-gel.org/membership/
Once you have completed the simple registration process you can fully access their website. The School Workforce and Governor Support Team will need to approve the registration request before you will be able to log in. They check applications regularly during office hours from Monday to Friday.
The type of training available on the GEL website
A wide variety of learning modules are available on the GEL website, with more being added regularly.
You are free to complete the modules that you feel are most relevant to you. You can even dip into specific sections of each learning module so you can quickly find out about a topic without needing to complete the whole module.
Examples of available modules include:
- Safeguarding - The Governors' Role
- Monitoring and Evaluation - The Governing Body's Role
- Roles and Responsibilities of School Governors
- Headteacher Recruitment and Succession Planning
- National Training Programme for New Governors (Pre course reading for our induction programme)
- The Strategic Role of Governors
- The Critical Friend
- Ensuring Accountability
- The Role of the SEN Governor
- Monitoring Performance Data and Targets
- Performance Management
- Understanding Schools Finance
The site also contains a range of documents to support learning and provide useful information.